The Director of Development shares in the overall profit and loss and schedule responsibility for all aspects of a given development project(s) with another member of the development team. These responsibilities include the areas of due diligence and project underwriting, architectural design, entitlement, and construction management. This position reports to the Executive VP & Partner, Development.
AVERAGE % OF TIME
Entitlement Process - Manage and assist in management of the entitlement process by working with project consultants and engaging with government officials and community leaders to gain appropriate formal approvals; Assist in presenting the project to municipal and neighborhood groups including the Planning Commission and City Council; Forge strong working relationships with key City personnel.
Construction Management - Manage and assist in the management of a third party general contractor and the entire construction and design team including all consultants throughout the period of construction; Interface closely with internal operational, finance, IT, and marketing departments to ensure that all Prometheus personnel have the appropriate level of input on all aspects of the management of the project to ensure a successful project development for all stakeholders; Attend and direct the activities of the weekly Owner-Architect-Contractor (OAC) meetings to ensure clear and timely communication.
Design Process - Manage and assist in the management of the myriad of design and engineering professionals to create the highest possible standards for high quality, well planned and detailed project designs; Focus on well researched construction technology, functionality, long-term maintenance, attention to detail (e.g. ensuring construction documents are of complete detail and scope to address critical issues such as code compliance, constructability, noise transmission, waterproofing issues, etc), resident and operational needs, with an eye toward maximizing long-term net operating income and value of the projects.
Due Diligence for Land Acquisition - Manage and assist others in managing the feasibility and economic viability of acquiring land to develop large scale multi-family and mixed use development projects that are primarily located in the SF Bay Area but could be located anywhere in the Western U.S.; Assist in the hiring and managing of consultants necessary to assist in evaluating potential projects including, but not limited to consultants involved in environmental and hazardous wastes, Phase 1 and 2 reports, architects, civil and structural engineers, general contractors, title companies, surveyors, traffic engineers, land planners, geo-technical engineers, and arborists; Meet with city and municipal officials and staff to research issues relevant to the project feasibility analysis; Closely coordinate with Prometheus' internal departments, especially the acquisitions and finance departments.
Cost and Schedule Management - Closely manage and assist in the management of all cost and schedule related issues throughout the development of the project and report clearly and timely to senior management in both a written and verbal manner; Focus on minimizing costs with full understanding and meticulous tracking of all development cost items (e.g. construction costs, consultant fees, City fees); Ensure that all work is bid out properly, all terms and conditions are negotiated effectively and diligently and that all resulting contracts and follow-up communications are detailed, clear, precise and complete in order to ensure maximum efficiency in consultant performance; Ensure that every project cost line item, bill, city fee, contract, change order is controlled, cross checked, analyzed and properly negotiated to minimize cost, without impairing quality; Apply an energetic, entrepreneurial and pro-active approach to ensuring the project is on schedule, starting with the preparation of a detailed, precise, aggressive but realistic schedule of all critical dates and a strict management of the projects, consultants and internal staff to ensure adherence to all established dates; The overarching goal is to professionally manage the entire development process, in order to achieve the most expedient and efficient timing.
Allocation and Use of Resources - Assist in managing the process of bringing in the appropriate internal and external resources where needed in the development process in order to achieve the most effective results; This would include determining which property management personnel should be brought in for project decisions, which development resources can be utilized and pulled in to optimize results in city negotiations, contract negotiations, potential legal concerns, etc.; The goal is for the most effective end result with the Development Manager assisting to ensure that the appropriate resources are used as effectively and efficiently as possible in order to achieve optimal results.
Development Efficiency - Ensure that the development process on projects is as efficient as possible including clear, detailed and consistent written communication with an eye on simple clear, concise, precise and consistent documentation on meetings and issues (quality over quantity with the goal of simple communication tools which enable anyone to easily and clearly track and understand the job issues), effective management and coordination with property management, and the overriding goal of minimizing bureaucracy and maximizing efficiency and effectiveness; Delegate all administrative tasks effectively to Administrative staff.
Upholding Standards - Perform additional duties and handle projects as assigned by the Senior VP of Development; Achieve regular attendance in conformity with standards; Comply fully with all Prometheus Real Estate Group rules and regulations for the safe and effective operation of the Prometheus Real Estate Group’s facilities; Additional tasks as may be assigned from time to time by the Principal or others at the Principal’s direction; Occasional travel will be required based upon the property’s needs
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of knowledge, skills, and abilities:
• High school diploma or general education degree (GED). Bachelor’s degree ideally in real estate, engineering, construction, architecture or general business preferred
• Minimum of eight years’ experience in high density multi-family (preferred), single family or commercial development. An engineering, construction or architectural background within these sectors is preferred.
• Minimum of three years supervisory experience.
• An AIA License and/or a General Contractors License is preferred.
• Entrepreneurial spirit required.
• Ability to work independently and yet be someone who appreciates and readily takes direction when appropriate.
• Leadership qualities are required to be an effective "quarterback" of the development process.
• Strong detail orientation ability to follow through directly, or through consultants, on all aspects of project execution is essential. Must be highly organized.
• Must have strong analytical skills, be adept at working with and analyzing pro-formas.
• Possess ability to understand complex legal and regulatory framework and to understand and perform complex financial analysis.
• Must have strong negotiation skills.
• Effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, residents, and the general public.
• Must possess basic computational skills; add, subtract, divide, and multiply. Must have the ability to compute rate, discounts, interest, and commissions. Must be able to prepare and analyze data figures and transcriptions generated by a computer.
• Computer proficient in Windows, MS Office, Word, Excel, Outlook, OneSite and the Internet. Ability to type 40+ wpm.
• Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
• Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
• Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral diagram, or scheduled form.
• Ability to speak, communicate, read, write and understand the primary languages used in the workplace including, but not limited to, English in order to maintain safety in the workplace and serve internal and external customers.
• Ability to focus and maintain attention to performance of tasks and to work and complete assignments on time despite frequent stressful, emergency, critical or unusual interruptions.